- Open source (not necessarily free - but that came along with open source)
- Ability to use on multiple PCs and the BlackBerry (synchronization)
- Ability to import and export the password database using a variety of formats
Solution: Keepass and Keepass BB
I'm pretty happy with the solution I found, so here is the step-by-step instruction for setting up a password safe incl. BB synchronization:
1. Install keepass V2 on your PC : http://keepass.info/
2. Install keepass BB V2 on your Blackberry (I choose the "over the air" OTA install): http://keepass.info/ . Leave the configuration settings at the default values, i.e. do not use "external file mode" for the databse.
3. Create a new password database on your PC. Select a path to store the resulting .kdbx file. Assign a master password for this database. Create a few entries.
4. Install the keepass V2 add-in for the BlackBerry Desktop Manager in order to automate the synchronization: http://f5bbutils.fairview5.com/keepassbb2/ . I followed the installation instructions and installed the add-in by downloading and double-clicking the .msi-file. As part of the installation process, the application needs to be configured as a synchronization plugin for the BB Desktop Manager (BBDM).
5. Now you are ready for the synchronization of your password database from the PC to the BlackBerry: in the BBDM-Synchronize menu, check the option to "Run add-in actions". I left the other checkboxes empty since my email etc. is not synchronized via BBDM. Then click on the Synchronize button next to the checkboxes. The add-in will ask for your keepass master password so that it can access the password database. It will then transfer the entries from your PC to your BB.
|BBDM synchronization settings|